The mission of the Glen Ellyn Public Library is to serve the community as a vibrant center for information, learning and discovery.
December 2013 Suggestions
November 2013 Suggestions
October 2013 Suggestions
September 2013 Suggestions
August 2013 Suggestions
July 2013 Suggestions
June 2013 Suggestions
May 2013 Suggestions
April 2013 Suggestions
408. WOW! Love this Library! Visiting from Michigan.
409. Please do something about the brass divider poles – my child inadvertently pulled one down and was almost struck by it. Do we really need these- they are also an eye sore.
We recently adjusted the location of the poles as we work to determine how effective they are or aren’t in the line queue process. We will take your comment into consideration as we review plans for potential change to the desk design and line queue.
410. I am interested in the Microsoft Word and Excel computer classes but the evening is the only available time that works for me. Will you add more flexible times for people who work in the day?
There is a Word class scheduled for May 21, 7-8:30pm. Please check with a staff member at the desk for additional upcoming dates and times or visit the calendar of events on our webpage at www.gepl.org.
411. I have several suggestions for the library collection and they are the following: Michael Jackson, Immortal- Deluxe; UHF starring Weird Al; “Weird Al” Yankovic: Even Worse; Now that’s what I call the 1990’s; Weird Al: the book; Christmas Classics by Paul Anka; Chef Aid, South Park; Bigger, Longer, Uncut, South Park; Jingle Bell Fun, Disney; Sesame Street and Christmas Classics; Mr. Hankey Christmas Classics, South Park; DVD: 8 Mile; DVD: Risky Business; DVD: Apocalypse LIVE!, starring Weird Al; South Park seasons 4, 9, 11, 2, 3, 6 and 7; Mannheim Steamroller: Meets the Mouse.
Thank you, your suggestions will be shared with the individuals who purchase materials for the library collection.
412. We’d rather have the door on! I have a toddler and a 6 month old – would rather struggle with the stroller once or twice on a visit than worry I’ve lost my toddler to the circulation or outside!
413. We need the door back!
414. Doors are absolutely necessary for the children’s area! Please!!!
Recently one of these doors was broken off of its hinges by someone going in and out of the area. New design drawings that we are considering for the youth area do not have doors on it, so the decision was made not to spend the money for new doors and to go ahead and get a head start on the new design for the area. We are in the process of adding more hands on activities in the department for the children to play with. Please see the new doll house, heat sensitive board and flash cards now available for children to play with when you visit the department. Soon we will be adding Ipads with a variety of learning game applications.
March 2013 Suggestions
399. Just wanted to make a comment on the “new” cd’s shelving. When I picked one of the discs up recently the one behind it fell to the floor causing the case to break. Can this be improved upon?
Two things are being done to improve this situation. First a metal top has been installed to prevent items from sliding down behind the shelving, in addition to this going forward we will be using a new less brittle plastic case that will not crack as easily when dropped or placed in the bookdrop.
400. Career Counselor on Tuesday, March 12, 2013 was very nice and helpful. I would recommend her again.
Thank you, we are glad you found the session helpful.
401. ______ has been so valuable in helping me by gathering materials for each unit we cover in the Glen Ellyn Park District Kindergarten Enrichment class where I teach. Her knowledge of available materials and choices she makes when gathering these shows an understanding of what works with kids in our classrooms. She makes sure to let me know about renewal dates and saves me time, which I spend creating the curriculum using these books. As a resident myself, I am thankful for our library and as teachers, we’re lucky to have a staff member like ___ to help us. I try to let her know how valuable she is, but an additional “pat on the back” for going above and beyond would be great from others at the library.
Thank you for your lovely compliment. We very much appreciate the work that this individual does for the teachers in our community. She gives 110% to every transaction that she conducts. She will be recognized for her efforts.
402. We love you guys!! Your Children’s Department is the best! Thank you for all your hard work & thoughtfulness in selecting quality books – it shows.
Thank you, we are pleased to know that you are happy with our collection.
403. Give an indication of how many holds there are before your hold. Did not realize that when I placed 2 holds on 2 DVD’s there were 6 ahead of me AND/OR somehow advise people that attendants can look up the number of holds on an item and let you know how many holds are ahead of you.
Thank you for your comment. We will ask LINC our catalog consortium if we can make the number of holds available for the user to view.
404. Glen Ellyn Public Library should give out free hot chocolate during the season of winter.
Thank you for the idea. We will take it into consideration.
405. I love the library but, it is a very outdated practice to charge for DVD checkout. Most libraries abandoned this practice as DVD’s became more popular, cheaper and easier to find and purchase. I think Glen Ellyn should remove this fee.
Thank you for your comment. This idea is under consideration. The current fee does generates over $30,000 that is then used to purchase more new DVD’s.
406. Very nice play area for the young children with lots of different things for them to do- thank you!
We are happy to know that you enjoy the space.
407. Our son has done a lot of classes at the library and elsewhere. Of all of his various music, gymnastics, reading, etc. teachers ________ has been the best! He loved every second of his level 2 storytime. ______ creates a great schedule for the class that keeps the kids interest and has a great way with them as well. Thanks for an excellent program!!
Thank you for the compliment. We are happy to know your son enjoyed the program. This individual will be recognized for her efforts.
396. Of the many libraries I’ve visited, yours is the loudest, most disturbing of them all. I found it almost impossible to find quiet refuge in your reading room. Better enforcement of silence is in order.
Indeed, the activities, programs and assistance that many patrons are turning to the library to provide are nosier then in years past. Please let us know if you need help finding a quiet space to work when you visit our facility.
397. Usually here Sunday afternoon would be great if we could watch Blackhawks games on Channel 5 when they are on.
Thank you for your suggestion.
398. I feel that the $1.00 a day fine for video games is excessive when the charge to loan them out is $1.00 per week.
The video game collection is very small, so the overdue fine was set at $1.00 to encourage those who borrow video games to return them in a timely manner, so others may use them.
390. I would like to request if possible that you have Yoga Magazine available in the Library. Thank you.
Thank you for your suggestion. We will add it to the list of titles we are considering for the new budget year.
391. Would you consider subscribing to Zineo online magazine for cardholders?
Thank you for your suggestion. We will consider it.
392. EBAY class was excellent!!
Thank you for the compliment – we are happy to hear you enjoyed the class.
393. Wow! New Sections! Cool! Fiction over there, Non-Fiction over there- Clear as Mud. The 800’s and 900’s are literature mostly plays and poetry and they are on a shelf labeled Non-Fiction! Why? Is Macbeth non-fiction? Is the Road Less Traveled non-fiction?
Thank you for your comments. We too struggle at times with the way in which some items are classified by the Dewey Decimal system- plays and short stories are a good example.
394. _______ was so very helpful while I was applying for a job online. She was so helpful and very patient. Give that kind woman a raise!!
We are pleased to learn you had a great customer experience. Both the individual and her supervisor will be informed of her quality performance.
395. Please carry paper versions of following magazines: Diabetes Forecast, Autism Advocate, other diabetes magazines, other autism magazines.
Thank you for your suggestion. We will add these to the list of titles we are considering for the new budget year.
Thank you for the Suggestions, if you have more please let us know by emailing reference[at]gepl[dot]org. A library staff member will respond to all comments which include the correspondent’s contact information. Comments and responses are posted on the public bulletin board in the library vestibule and online. You may also contact us by mail, phone or fax at:
Glen Ellyn Public Library
400 Duane Street
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137