Patron Conduct Guidelines
Glen Ellyn Public Library
We ask all Library users to respect the rights of others and to work together to create an environment conducive to both educational and leisure use of the Library.
- Please be considerate of others by keeping the volume of conversation at an acceptable level and refrain from engaging unwilling patrons in discussions
- Cell phones may be used throughout the building. Please be considerate of others by keeping the volume of conversation at an acceptable level. Cell phone ringers should be turned off or set to silent.
- Patrons must use headphones listening to DVDs/Videos/TVs and computer programs with audio. Headphones are available for checkout or purchase, ask at the Adult and Children’s Desks.
- While in the Library, please refrain from actions or language that could be perceived as abusive or threatening to others. Profanity is prohibited.
- Patrons must abide by the provisions of the Computer and Internet Use Policy.
- Drinking alcohol or using controlled substances on Library premises is prohibited.
- The Library is a smoke-free campus. Use of tobacco products within the building and on Library grounds prohibited.
- Covered beverages are permitted in the Library. Food may only be consumed in the foyer, meeting rooms or outside the building.
- Library employees are not responsible for personal belongings left unattended. Unattended items may be turned into lost and found at the Circulation Desk.
- Theft, vandalism and mutilation of Library property are criminal offenses and may be prosecuted.
- Weapons are not permitted.
- Sexual behavior is unacceptable.
- Using the library for the purposes of soliciting/solicitation is prohibited.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn in the Library at all times.
- Using the library restroom facilities for inappropriate purposes (such as bathing or washing clothes) is not permitted.
- Bodily hygiene that is offensive so as to constitute a nuisance to patrons or staff is unacceptable.
- Service animals that provide assistance to persons with disabilities will be permitted in the Library. No other animals are permitted.
- Children under 7 years old must not be left unattended in the Library. Library employees cannot act in place of a parent or other caregiver in providing care and supervision of unattended children inside or outside of the library.
- Disruptive behavior will not be permitted in the Library, or on its grounds.
Library users who persist in violating the Patron Conduct Guidelines may be asked to leave the Library. As necessary, the Glen Ellyn Police Department may be called. Suspected child abuse will be reported to Children’s Protective Services. An Incident Report will be filled out and put on file with the Library Director.
Library staff will be respectful of all patrons, and we will enforce the Patron Conduct Guidelines.
Approved by the Glen Ellyn Public Library Board of Trustees
June 23, 2008